The growth of HealthEngine since it was initially founded in 2006 by Australia’s leading medical blogger and emergency physician Dr. Mike Cadogan is a great Australian startup success story.
Taken over by GP and angel investor Dr. Marcus Tan in 2009 via his Future Health Ventures business, a vehicle to fund technology companies focused on the health and medical markets, Marcus was later joined by Darius Wey and Adam Yap who co-incidentally all had attended the same school in Perth, although not in the same years.
Originally conceived as an online health directory, HealthEngine was the first to market in the transactional appointment booking space launching open appointments on February 14, 2012. As such, HealthEngine is Australia’s first major online health search and appointment booking service.
It is free to use for the consumer and for healthcare practitioners there are no contracts, you only pay upon performance.
We take that industry leadership very seriously and evidence our claims. Here are some highlights:
Key Site Facts
- 2009 – HealthEngine had 7,500 unique visitors per month to the site.
- 2010 – it had grown to 30,000 unique visitors and 50,000 page impressions per month.
- 2011 – 180,000 unique visitors and 400,000 page impressions per month.
- 2012 – 350,000 unique visitors and 900,000 page impressions per month.
- July 2013 – HealthEngine hit 500,000 unique visitors and 1,200,000 page impressions per month, making it one of the most visited consumer health sites in Australia.
- HealthEngine is Australia’s #1 appointment booking service and evidences that crown with site traffic, published appointments by healthcare practitioners, and appointments made by consumers.
- In fact, a booking is made every 3 minutes using HealthEngine. No other service comes remotely close to these statistics and we are the most significant in this space.
HealthEngine Attracts Significant Investment
In May 2013, HealthEngine secures $10.4m in investment (some cash, some in-kind) from Telstra Ventures and Seven West Media. The founding leadership team still retains control of the company.
The new Board includes:
Pat O’Sullivan – Board Chair, previous Chair at NineMSN, CFO at SingTel Optus, and Director at both Carsales.com and iSelect.
Rohan Lund – Director , COO Seven West Media Group, former CEO Yahoo!7
Matthew Koertge – Director , MD Telstra Ventures
Marcus Tan – CEO and Director
Adam Yap – COO and Director
Andrew Larsen – Board Observer
We are proud to share with you our heritage timeline. Here’s a peak.