Welcome to HealthEngine’s Blog. I thought for our first post it would be appropriate to share with you the story of our journey and who we are:
HealthEngine is positioned as one of Australia’s largest online consumer health sites as rated by Nielsen and is the Australia market leader in online health appointment booking services. Consumers are able to self serve and book the 1st available medical appointment to suit their needs.
Originally conceived as a directory by well known and high profile emergency physician and health informatics enthusiast Dr. Mike Cadagan, HealthEngine was taken over in 2006 by Dr. Marcus Tan, a General Practitioner, social entrepreneur and technology angel investor with his business partner Adam Yap, an e-commerce expert and lawyer through their company FutureHealth.
For consumers, HealthEngine is free to use and is an important community resource with more than 450,000 users each month finding and booking their health appointments with nearby doctors, dentists and allied health practitioners online.
HealthEngine will soon reach a significant millstone of achievement – 1 million published appointments.
HealthEngine allows patients access to the right care, at the right place, at the right time with most patients able to get a health appointment within 24-48 hours from a choice of thousands of practitioners nationally.
Whilst free to use for the consumer, HealthEngine’s innovative business model attracts health care practitioners to use the service because it is entirely performance based. The premise for Health care practitioners wishing to publish their appointments via HealthEngine is simple: If you don’t get a booking you don’t pay for the service. There are no contracts.
In 2013 HealthEngine announced a $10.4 million investment in the company by Telstra and Seven West Media. This was a significant investment in the Australian health sector. The partnership not only positions HealthEngine as a trusted resource for Australians, but will also provide the opportunity to build the largest eHealth business in Australia and make a positive impact on the health of the Australian community through improved access to available health care appointments.
About Seven West Media
Seven West Media is the leading, listed national multi-platform media business based in Australia. It comprises of Seven Television, the leading free to air capital city television network; Pacific Magazines, the country’s second largest magazine group by readership; Yahoo!7 one of the nation’s most successful internet platforms, as well as Western Australia’s leading newspaper, The West Australian and associated WA regional newspapers and radio stations. Seven West Media was created through the acquisition of Seven Media Group by West Australian Newspapers Holdings Limited (WAN) as approved by WAN shareholders on 11 April 2011.
Free to Air Television
- Seven is Australia’s leading FTA television network
- Digital channels, 7TWO and 7Mate
- Commercial networks in each metro city and regional Queensland
- Regional affiliates broadcasting Seven content in VIC, NSW and WA
- The West Australian is the #1 metro newspaper in WA
- 21 regional newspaper publications in WA
- #1 classified newspaper in WA (Quokka)
- Investment in Community Newspaper Group (49.9%) – 17 titles across Perth
- Pacific Magazines is Australia’s the #2 magazine publisher
- Over 25 publications
- Leading titles in ‘Home & Lifestyle’, ‘Fashion’and ‘Men’s Lifestyle’
- Readership base of approximately 7.2m
- Yahoo!7 is a leading platform for online TV, Newspaper and Magazine content
- Recent acquisition of Spreets extends online capabilities
- Online is expected to be the fastest growing advertising segment in 2011
- Nine radio licences across regional WA
- Other Media related investments include Sky News (33.3%), OzTAM (33.3%), TX Australia (33.3%)
About Telstra Ventures
Telstra Ventures invests in breakthrough companies that are strategically important to Telstra. Its investment strategy is focussed on high growth opportunities that offer technology and solutions which in Australia and Silicon Valley, Telstra Ventures works closely with quality entrepreneurs to build significant companies. Telstra Ventures is a corporate venture capital group founded in 2011 as a wholly owned subsidiary of Telstra Corporation.